Every summer, the biggest names in mountain biking descend upon Whistler to hit the Whistler Mountain Bike Park during one of the world's premier mountain bike festivals, Kokanee Crankworx. Athletes from all over the globe flock to the festival to try their hand at some of the most innovative and challenging courses in the industry, while fans rush to watch the dirt and mud fly as heroes are crowned.
The nine-day event will take place July 16-24, 2011 and features ground breaking events, such as the Garbanzo DH and Giant Slalom, as well as its marquee events, the Slopestyle and Air DH competitions. The long daylight hours and hot summer weather mean more time to take in the live music, riding demonstrations and smokin' competition, not to mention a few rip roarin' parties.
Crankworx 2011 will once again feature The Saint Deep Summer Photo Challenge. After an impressive introduction in 2009 the event keeps getting bigger and better. Photographers are teamed up with athletes of their choice and unleashed on the Whistler Mountin Bike Park and Whistler X/C trails to capture all the action. They have three days to shoot, edit and compile a slide show to impress the judges at the big night finale at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler. The pressure and prestige will be on with prize money and a huge career boost on the line.
For more information on Kokanee Crankworx, visit www.crankworx.com
Also check out the Crankedwordz blog at http://crankworx.wordpress.com/
Quick Facts for Kokanee Crankworx 2010:
- Over 20,000 spectators lined the course and filled Skier’s Plaza for the Monster Energy Slopestyle
- Highest visited period in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park ever
- Over 5,500 Facebook fans and 2,000+ Twitter followers of Kokanee Crankworx
- Mike Montgomery’s GoPro footage of his Slopestyle run; the 13th most tweeted topic of the day in sports with 600,000 views and counting
- Over 300 accredited media from 17 countries, including major bike magazines, filmmakers and bike industry webzines
- Over 1,200 competitor starts throughout the event